Jennifer Cole, Academic Advisor, School of Health Sciences
A common question advisors hear from new students is “Why do I need course approval?” There are several reasons a student should seek course approval from their advisor, and course approval is strongly recommended.
- If you are using Federal Financial Aid, or most types of Veteran’s benefits, course approval is required in order to use your funds.
- It assures you that the course you want to take will apply to your remaining degree requirements, and not duplicate any previously taken course work.
- It helps you plan your current and future terms. Your advisor can let you know about any prerequisites you may want to consider before attempting a certain course, or if the pairing of courses you’ve chosen for a particular term may be a particularly difficult combination.
- If you are on academic probation, you would be limited to one course per term, and are required to have course approval.
- Capstone courses also require course approval.
How do you request course approval? There are several ways:
- Send your advisor a message in the message center with the courses you wish to take.
- Give your advisor a call to discuss options and have course approval placed on file.
- Request approval via your MAPlanner tool.
- On the My Home page of your my Excelsior account, you can click on the MAP Planner tool.
- Then click on the “progress” tab. This will show you your remaining degree requirements.
- Click on the corresponding number in the “Credits Needed” column, it will bring up a list of courses that will meet that requirement.
- Select a course from that list it will move it to your “exams/courses” tab, from there you can request course approval.